Thursday, October 9, 2014

Week 5 ~ High Society

I am obsessed with all things Old Hollywood. I'd rather watch a classic movie than a new one...And when I say classic, I mean a movie made before 1960. Although I will admit that I do hold a certain affinity for movies made in the 80's...I mean, who doesn't like the Brat Pack. Back on track though, I find classic movie stars to be glamorous and classy in a way that doesn't exist anymore in our world. They carry themselves with a certain poise that is such a foreign concept to many these days. I can only think of maybe a handful of today's celebrities that I consider fall into that category.

I have read many biographies about Old Hollywood stars, and I find the leading ladies to be most entertaining: Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, and of course Grace Kelly.

Arriving at this week, I finally picked up High Society: The Life of Grace Kelly by Donald Spoto. I purchased the book...yes, the actual book...almost two years ago, but I had never gotten around to reading it, until now.

The book's author, Donald Spoto, was a close friend of Princess Grace, and she actually gave him permission to write her biography, with the stipulation that he write it several years after she had passed.

I'm honestly not sure what to write about this book. Except to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the glimpse into her life. I loved reading all the anecdotes that her friends and loved ones had to share about her. The book further convinced me that she was one of the nicest, classiest ladies of her time. I completely cop to having a huge crush on her and totally loving every one of her movies. I mean, what's not to love...She was a modern woman living in a world where every young girl's biggest dream was to find a good man to marry and be a mother. She set out on her own at 18, against her parents' wishes, to New York to pursue an uncertain life in theatre. And she also had the strength and bravery to stand up for herself when the Studio System burned her.

Speaking of the Studio System, I found that whole diabolical to be fascinating, and I would like to read more about it. So considere my interest peaked, and my thirst for knowledge will be quenched.

In my opinion Grace Kelly was one of those people that left an indelible mark on the world, not only as an actress, but as a Princess of the people and a humanitarian. Thankfully, we have her films to watch and keep us forever enamored. Some of my favorite movie moments with her include the following...and even though they are numbered, they are actually in no particular order:

1) When we meet Lisa Carole Fremont in Rear Window. Prolly one of the most beautiful shots I've ever seen. Hitchcock = The master!
2) When Francie Stevens kisses John Robie good night and leaves him in the hallway outside her hallway. It's unexpected, and Cary Grant's smirk after it is great.
3) When Tracie Lord awakens with her champagne hangover and proclaims that her dress is heavy and overuses the word "fine." It's hilarious and adorable.
4) When Amy Fowler Kane, a self-proclaimed pacifist, saves her husband's (Gary Cooper) life by shooting Frank Miller.
5) When Margot Wendice fights off her attacker, killing him in self-defense.

I could prolly go on and on, but I'll spare everyone the listing. Only if you all promise to go out there and start educating yourself on the timeless beauty that is Grace Kelly.

On tap this week for the Reading Challenge, my trilogy: The Wicked Years! I read Wicked quite a few months ago and enjoyed it. So this week, I am hoping to read Son of a Witch, A Lion Among Men, and Out of Oz. I'm halfway through Son of a Witch, so here's hoping I can finish them all by next Monday.

On the Reading Challenge front: 55/200

No comments:

Post a Comment