Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Where She Went/If I Stay

There is still a forth coming post for the Reading Challenge, but I have a couple more chapters...that I will prolly finish tonight after Dancing with the Stars...Yes. I love DWTS! It's musical, theatrical, and totally fun! PS: Before anyone asks, I don't know who I want to win!

So this week, I have a bit of a bonus. A couple of actually. This week, I have been reading three different books: High Society (A Grace Kelly biography...That I will talk about prolly later tonight), Son of Witch (Book 2 of The Wicked Years...I'll blog about that a little later next week because I have to finish the whole series for my next challenge I'm taking on), and finally, the purpose of this post, Where She Went by Gayle Forman.

Let's start at the very beginning...a very good place to start... *Extra credit to the person who can tell me what that lines from!*

So Where She Went is actually a sequel to If I Stay. I absolutely devoured If I Stay back in July. And I mean, I read the book in a few short hours. I could not put it down. It was a quick read. The book is also a member of one of my favorite genres...YAL.

I offer a quick synopsis of If I Stay for those who that haven't read it yet: Seventeen year-old Mia gets into a car accident, but remembers nothing from it. However, while she is in a coma, she can see everything that is happening around her...including the battle to save her own life. As she watches each scene, she realizes all she has lost and what she has to look forward to if she wakes up.

The novel is told entirely from Mia's point of view. Mia illustrates the current happenings in the hospital, and weaves moments from her relationship with her boyfriend Adam into the story. It paints a beautiful picture of a fledgling relationship of young love. The story also includes a love for music and the arts. I don't think I'm blowing the ending for anyone by saying, Mia decides to stay and live. I feel like the fact that there's a sequel tells what she decides.

So now the ending to If I Stay is a complete cliffhanger. And I knew immediately I needed to read the sequel! Cue my obsessive reader side that debates between patiently waiting out the Hold List on the eLibrary or just bite the bullet and buy the book. My frugal side won out, and I waited on the Hold List. For six weeks!!

Cue girly scream when I received an email letting me know my number had been called, and I could check out the sequel!

So now I offer you a brief synopsis for Where She Went: The novel picks up about 3-4 years after the conclusion of If I Stay, and it is a continuation of Mia and Adam's story. This novel differs though because it is told from Adam's point of view. Mia decided to stay and survive, but not with him. Adam's music career gets a restart when he writes an album that portrays just how painful the breakup was for him. He becomes the target of paparazzi and feels suffocated by the fame. Mia has become a world class cellist, and she is playing the Carnegie Hall. Their paths cross again when Adam decides to impulsively go to the concert. In a single night they rehash the last three years and find a way to live with the decisions and paths both of them selected.

The novel ended exactly how I wanted, and this time I'm not going to say anything about the ending because I don't have to. It's a quick two book series that is very enjoyable.

Sidenote...As I was reading the second book, it kinda reminded me of this film series that stars Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. There are three movies in the series called: Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight. All three movies take place over the course of a day, and they chronicle different stages in the lives of a couple. An awesome film series if you're looking for some quirky, indie and real.

Anywho...Another blog post is coming shortly for the Reading Challenge! And I'm thinking about doing a page count too. I obviously won't be able to keep track for the whole year, but I might go to the point where I started blogging again to add all the pages up. Then I can keep track until the end of the year, and totally start a new page count for 2015.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment