Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Giver

My original plan was to hold off on blogging until after I finished rereading The Giver Quartet (written by Lois Lowry); however, I am just too freaking excited...So change in plans.

I reread The Giver this weekend. My first experience with the book was in elementary school. One of my teachers read it aloud to us. At age 9 or even 10...How much do you really retain and listen to as your teacher reads? That being said, I don't know how to convey how much I truly enjoyed reacquainting myself with the The Giver. It honestly felt like the first time. (Cue the Foreigner song right now) It is one of few books that I would honestly dub of "literary treasure." And that is not an honor I hand out very often.

In the event that anyone reading this hasn't read the book, I offer a short synopsis for you. But you must promise to go out and read the novel immediately! I mean it's only 180 pages. The novel takes place in a Utopian society. The plot primarily follows Jonas. He is about to graduate to the Twelves group. Once a person in the society reaches the Twelves group, they are given their community assignment. Jonas is selected to be the next Receiver of Memory. He is to be trained to take place of the current Receiver, who asks Jonas to call him the Giver. The novel chronicles Jonas' training with the Giver. And for the first time in his life Jonas truly sees the world that he is living in for what it is.

The novel was released in 1993. With the other three being released in 2000 (Gathering Blue), 2004 (Messenger), and 2012 (Son), respectively. The novel won a Newbury Medal in 1994,("The most distinguished contribution to American literature for children"), but on the flip side was on the ALA's list of most challenged books throughout the 90's. Now I am one of those nerds, who finds a book even more desirable to read if it is on the challenged list.

Remember...This blog is merely a collection of my thoughts and opinions...No one has to agree or go along with me. And when I make blanket statements (like the one I'm about to make), I am not required to back them up with evidence of my claim because they are merely my opinions. (PS: This little disclaimer may have been for myself...After so many years of writing evidence-supported essays, I find myself having difficulty just writing my opinion without offering support.)

The Giver paved the way for many successful YAL series. (Said blanket statement) BTW, I apologize in advance if I spoil any novels for anyone, I will try my best to be vague without giving any massive plot points away. PS: This might be a slight ramble...but I'm gonna go forth just the same.

- The Giver takes place in a Utopian society where there is "Sameness." Free will is completely taken away from all the citizens. All choices are made for them. Everything from their lifelong career to the clothes they wear each day. The Elders group are all knowing. They see all that happens and rule with an iron fist, unbeknownst to the citizens of "Sameness."

- The Hunger Games series takes place in a Dystopian society, post-War. The Capital dictates what their District is established for...what goods they will produce. Each year the people are subjected to the Hunger Games, and they must watch as people slaughter each other for survival. The Capital rules with an iron fist as well. And their answer to Civil Disobedience...Elimination.

- The Divergent series is also set in a Dystopian society. There are five factions in the society that each person lives in. Their faction determines how they live, where they work, the kinds of jobs they will have, clothes they wear, etc...

Squirrel! Sidenote: After some research (for my own curiosity), I found that The Hunger Games series was on the ALA's 2013 list of most challenged books, and that the Divergent series would likely be included on the 2014 list.

All three series occur in a universe that we don't live in. They all hold similar elements of repression of the masses, where the long shot is the one to make the stand. To me, that makes for a fantastic read, and I am not alone in that opinion.

Young Adult Lit (YAL) is hot right now. So many people of all ages are cracking open books in this genre, and as soon as they devour one, they pick up another. I am included in this group. I can't get enough of them. I often wish I would have searched for YAL books when I was in middle and high school. I think I could have weathered that particular time period in my life far better than I did. It makes me happy that young people are reading, and getting excited about reading. And I think a huge reason is because so many YAL books are being adapted in film.

The Giver is the most recent to receive a film adaptation. At least it's the most recent one I have seen. And my initial reaction to the film: Solid. Beautiful. Thought Provoking.

I realize I might be getting skinned alive for saying that here, but I thoroughly enjoyed the adaptation. It mostly follows the novel, but like every film based on a book there are some differences. Some that are glaringly obvious. But on it's own, the film is amazing. You have to see it with an open mind, and not merely just to pick it apart with each compare and contrast from book to movie.

I would love to write about all the moments I loved in the film, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I think it should be seen without spoilers. So moral of the story here....Read The Giver and go see the film too. But as separate experiences!

See ya soon!

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment