Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Inferno - Week 2 of Reading Challenge

Week two...Done!

So last week, I ended my post with aspirations of reading two books for the Reading Challenge...I am here to admit that I failed. Well sort of failed. I still kept on pace though and read a book.

So I will admit, I am a gal who loves to read the classics. Even more so if there's an epic slow-burn romance happening between iconic characters. I also love to read YAL novels...And I'm sure I've said this before, but I totally wish I would have discovered this genre when I was in high school! And taking nerd to a whole new level...I love to read biographies about Hollywood Legends (ie: Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Elizabeth Taylor...The list could go on). Now I am generally not one to read thriller type novels. I get so immersed in the plot that I become terrified of my own shadow by the time darkness falls. BUT...I am a HUGE fan of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon (RL) series.

It started with The Da Vinci Code...then Angels & Demons...then The Lost Symbol...And finally this week Inferno.

A brief summary...I borrowed from Amazon. --> Seriously I tried to write a summary, and everything I wrote felt inadequate after I read the short, concise Amazon description.

In the heart of Italy, Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centered on one of history’s most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces . . . Dante’s The Divine Comedy.

Against this backdrop, Langdon battles a chilling adversary and grapples with an ingenious riddle that pulls him into a landscape of classic art, secret passageways, and futuristic science. Drawing from Dante’s dark epic poem, Langdon races to find answers and decide whom to trust . . . before the world is irrevocably altered.

Yes, I realize that the previous synopsis could describe most RL Adventures, but I don't want to give anything away! It's too good! Granted after I finished the novel, I immediately sent my friend a photo of my wide-awake somewhat terrified face...And of course this was after midnight when I should be relaxing. But the fear was worth it.

With this Dan Brown read, I can say I honestly wasn't sure how it was going to end. There were several unexpected twists that I most def chastised myself for missing the clues early on in the novel...or not being even the least bit suspicious. But I whole-heartedly enjoyed it. I love the pairing of the history and art. I feel like it brings a little slice of culture to my small-town Montana life.

I will admit that this RL Adventure had a very dark tone to it. In my opinion, far darker than any of the other RL novels. The novel can be quite accurately paired with Dante's The Divine Comedy. And for those of you that don't know, The Divine Comedy is an epic poem broken into three parts: Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradisio. The poem is about Dante's travels through Hell, Purgatory and Heaven. The novel focuses on the Inferno part. Dante paints a vivid and imaginative picture of what he believes hell to be. Talk about some dark stuff to be reading when you're trying to relax and get ready to go to sleep! Lol!

If you're on the fence about reading a Dan Brown, let me give you a list of things to expect!
1) TONS of History...like more than you learned in your high school Sophomore World History class.
2) Art...Paintings, Sculptures, Statues, Palaces...The list goes on and on!
*Helpful Tip* Have Google or Wikipedia at the ready to look up the various references...It makes the experience of the novel even more exciting (Well to me it does!)
3) Langdon's claustrophobia...It's expected that the poor guy is gonna get stuck in an elevator or windowless area. I will admit when Langdon starts to freak out, I get sympathy claustrophobia and have to frequently remind myself that I am in fact NOT stuck in a tight space, and can open the window!
4) Langdon's Mickey Mouse watch. LOVE THIS!

On the Reading Challenge front, I earned 5 points this week, which puts me at 15/200!

I think this week, I am going to take on the following challenge: Read an epistolary novel, which is a book written in letters, emails, diary entries or other documents (15 points).

For this challenge, I am going to read The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I also have Fried Green Tomatoes checked out because I've never read it, and I've heard it's amazing! So maybe I'll try to find a challenge that FGT works for too! Who knows!

Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment